Create smart notes on the fly. Notability lets users create multimedia notes: these can include traditional text (boring!), or you can get a little more adventurous through the addition of drawings and even sound recordings. The end result? A living, breathing note that can record far more information than you might get using pen and paper. It's the perfect classroom companion.
Make it pretty, delete it when you're done. Notability lets users change the background of their individual notes, and you can easily delete the note itself once you're finished with it (though, for lesson notes, keeping an archive might be a smarter move). There is also a comprehensive selection of app settings for users to consider and tweak in Notability, too. Notability is your digital notebook, so make it yours.
Don't type -- draw! In class, there are times when you might want to record concepts, diagrams, or charts without typing away on the iOS keyboard. Drawing or even using Notability's microphone is the way to go when these kinds of situations arise. Of course, your drawings and sound recordings are embedded into the note itself, meaning everything is maintained together in one single place.
What is it about?
Notability - Notability's combination of numerous features, an intelligently-designed interface, a fluid, readable handwriting experience, and value is enough to make it unbeatable. Notability has virtually every feature available in other notetaking apps (aside from text conversion) and they are virtually all implemented in a highly intuitive, user-friendly manner: pencil, highlighter, a palm rest that works, a zoom mode that advances the text as you type, a typing mode with extra keys on the keyboard and the ability to type in the body of the note, a voice recording function that syncs recordings to the text typed at the same time, import from and autosync to Dropbox, any WebDAV server, or iDisk, an outline format, the option to turn and use any page in a notebook in Landscape or Portrait mode, pdf annotation, a left handed writing mode, and even the elimination of the need to turn the page by automatically adding a new page at the bottom of the last one. The one hiccup is that it hasn't been updated for the new iPad yet, but the developers have announced that an update is imminent.
For those who...
- Need a powerful and comprehensive note-taking app
- Need images and audio in their notes
Not for those who...
- Just want basic notes
- Don't need fancy audio or images
Why we love it
Notability has a ton of powerful features and tools to make note-taking a breeze.
Notability is $9.99 but there are more add-ons
App Store Description
Welcome to Notability: powerful, yet wonderfully simple note-taking and PDF annotation.
Apple Editors' Choice on iPad, iPhone, and Mac! Apple's Mac App of The Year! Recognized by Apple as the Best Selling Paid Productivity app in 2016, 2015, 2014, and 2013!
Students, teachers, and business professionals use Notability daily to take notes, sketch ideas, annotate PDFs, mark-up photos, record lectures, provide audio feedback and more. It is uniquely designed for each device to provide the best note taking experience at school, at home, and at work. And with iCloud, your notes are always up to date.
- Multitasking with Notability enables you to take notes while you research, read a text book, or watch a lecture, on select iPads.
- 3D Touch on iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 makes it faster than ever to create, preview, and open notes.
- Spotlight Search helps you find and open recent notes.
- Handwrite and sketch with beautiful ink.
- Write smoothly and quickly with zoom-writing.
- Draw perfectly straight lines for graphs, designs, and shapes.
- Automatic Palm Detection on iPad allows you to write naturally with your hand on the screen.
- Notability has been fine-tuned for Apple Pencil and iPad Pro giving you the most responsive, precise writing experience yet.
- Notability includes full-featured typing with a wide range of fonts, sizes, and colors.
- Outlines, checklists, and text boxes help you quickly capture and organize ideas.
- Highlight typed text.
- The typing UI is uniquely designed on iPhone, iPad, and Mac for the best typing experience possible.
IMPORT AND ANNOTATE PDFs
- Highlight, Copy & Paste, Speak, Define and Search PDF text.
- Mark up lecture slides and meeting agendas or complete class assignments.
- Fill-out, sign, and send PDF forms.
- Import doc and ppt files with the help of Google Drive.
- Import Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides as PDFs.
- Import webpages from the browser with the Share Extension.
AUDIO RECORDINGS: REVIEW AND GIVE FEEDBACK
- Get more out of your lectures and meetings when you record them.
- Notes automatically link to recordings, so during playback, you can watch your notes animate along with the recording, or tap them to get to the spot that needs clarifying.
- Teachers can also use these features to provide audio and handwritten feedback to students.
ALL ELECTRONIC WORKFLOW
- Create a paperless classroom -- handout and collect assignments via the cloud.
- Speed-up feedback to students and colleagues using Notability.
- Complete, sign, and share documents in Notability.
ORGANIZE AND SHARE NOTES
- Create subjects and simply drag notes into them.
- Share your notes via email, AirDrop, printer, Twitter, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, OneDrive and more.
- Retrieve recently deleted notes from the trash.
- iCloud automatically syncs all of your notes to iPad, iPhone, and Mac.
- Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, or OneDrive can be used to backup your notes in PDF format and are great for archiving or recovery.
We hope you enjoy using Notability, and we look forward to hearing from you.
Notability is a registered trademark of Ginger Labs, Inc.