July 19, 2012
Newsify, a relatively new app that has already been so notable as to be included in AppAdvice's RSS reader app showdown, has gained another update. Newsify debuted in the App Store as an iPhone-only app that looks conspicuously like a combination of Reeder and Flipboard. And this sort of resemblance became even more pronounced as it got updated with optimization for iPad early last month. Under my post about Newsify's then new native iPad support, a commenter said, "We need a night theme." Apparently, he needed it so much that he all but chanted the phrase "night theme" nine times in his comment, which he ended thus: "please…" Well, the commenter will be delighted to learn that he did not chant and plead in vain. Yes, Newsify now has an optional night mode. And in addition to that, the following changes are brought by the app's latest update as well:
Until a few days ago, Newsify was available in the App Store at no cost. So, if you fancy a hybrid of Reeder and Flipboard but weren't able to download Newsify while it was free, you have to purchase it now for $0.99. But no matter, as another commenter on the same post suggested, Newsify, by virtue of its good design, is "worth at least $2.99."
- Added the ability to tap-and-hold items in article lists to mark read and toggle starred after marking read
- Added the ability to mark items read while scrolling (enable in Advanced settings)
- Added the ability pull up at the bottom of article lists to mark all as read (enable in Advanced settings)
- Changed tap-and-hold link menu title to link URL
- Added additional Max Sync Items setting values