January 29, 2013
Just over a month after its launch in the App Store, Rise Alarm Clock has now received its big two-dot-oh update. Reviewed rather positively here on AppAdvice and subsequently included in AppAdvice’s Top 10 Best Paid iPhone Apps of 2012, Rise is a universal alarm clock app that's apparently inspired by the look and feel of Clear and Solar. Like that popular to-do app and that popular weather app, Rise is delightfully minimalist and gesture-based. To pick an alarm or "rise" time in Rise, just drag up and down on the screen. If you'd like to fine-tune your choice of time, just tap above or below it. Then, pull left or right on the screen to turn on the alarm. In case you're having trouble sleeping, you can also use Rise to make a playlist to lull you to sleep. Once rise time arrives, you can choose to snooze the alarm or turn it off by pulling left or right. If you can't see the video embedded above, please click here. As mentioned, Rise has just received its big 2.0 update. Indeed, Rise Alarm Clock 2.0 offers a big set of improvements, certainly not least of which is a bigger clock. To view Rise's bigger clock, just tap the current time on the set screen. The app then transitions to a large clock display that includes the countdown to rise time. Note that on the iPhone, the app automatically switches to landscape mode in order to show the bigger clock. But on the iPad, either portrait or landscape mode works. Apart from the bigger clock, Rise Alarm Clock 2.0 includes various bug fixes and features the following improvements:
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 6.0 or later, Rise Alarm Clock 2.0 is available now in the App Store as a free update or as a new $1.99 download. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Set your default snooze time, or choose not to have snooze.
- Added in alarm volume defaults.
- Multiple alarm notifications while locked.
- Shake to snooze notifications.
- Stores Sleep Tunes playlist and alarm sound better.
- Works with iCloud tracks.
- Play audio in the background: Pandora, Spotify, iTunes, etc.
- Sped up app load time and many other optimizations.
- Added Korean, Swedish, Russian, German, Hungarian, Traditional Chinese, Polish, Russian, and Spanish localizations.
- Updated Swedish and Simplified Chinese localizations.