December 24, 2013
The smart and gorgeous podcast app Castro has just received an update that adds a much-requested feature. Released just a couple of weeks ago, Castro received its first update last week, thereby gaining several minor fixes and playback speed adjustments. Now, apparently, another week means another update for the app. In his otherwise positive review of Castro here on AppAdvice, my colleague Daniel noted the absence of feed URL support in the app. Well, the latest update to Castro has rectified that omission. This is possible using a new URL subscription interface that lets you subscribe to a podcast whose URL has been copied to clipboard. The new version of Castro also includes the following improvements:
The new version of Castro is available now in the App Store as a free update or as a new $2.99 download. The app is optimized for iPhone and iPod touch running iOS 7.0 or later. Castro earned an AppAdvice App of the Week honorable mention just last week. For more notable podcast apps, check out AppAdvice's Podcast Apps AppGuide. [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- You can manually download episodes using mobile data even if you have it turned off to automatic downloads.
- Adds larger cache size options. See Castro settings in the Settings app.
- Adds setting to disable sound effects.
- Fixes bug that could cause data loss if you tried to play an episode from the lock screen after a device restart.
- Enables pull to refresh on Episodes tab even when no episodes are showing.
- Uses search result artwork if podcast feed is missing artwork.
- Original podcast art on the lock screen.
- Fixes a layout bug when tapping into a podcast from search results.
- Fixes bug where download notifications weren't getting sent sometimes.
- Fixes bug where downloads found when on mobile data weren't getting downloaded when back on Wifi.