December 12, 2013
Plants vs. Zombies 2, the free-to-play sequel to the wildly popular Plants vs. Zombies lane defense game, has just received what may very well be its biggest update yet. As noted by PopCap, the latest update to Plants vs. Zombies 2 brings "loads of cool stuff," including:
Among the aforementioned improvements, perhaps the one of most note is the revamped map. This is because it effectively gets rid of the gates and requires neither keys nor in-app purchases to maintain progression. In addition, it allows passage to the next world upon completion of all the stages in the current world. The new Plants vs. Zombies 2 update, by the way, also includes a new world, which looks to be the Far Future area teased by PopCap months ago. Also of note in the new version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 are the new Turbo button, which speeds up the proceedings, and the new Gargantuar foe, which is indeed a gargantuan zombie with a gargantuan appetite. Also featuring a holiday-themed icon, the new version of Plants vs. Zombies 2 is available now in the App Store for free. The game is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 5.1 or later. First announced by PopCap in 2012, Plants vs. Zombies 2 was officially released on iOS last August, topping 25 million downloads in just a couple of weeks and earning AppAdvice's Game of the Week award. For more information on the game, check out our original review, which notes, "If you are a fan of tower defense games, or just loved the first game, then you will need to grab the sequel." [gallery link="file" order="DESC"]
- Big changes. We've upgraded the map to make game progression quicker and easier.
- It's simpler to know how much you've done, where you're going, and what loot you'll get along the way.
- Play all-new Piñata Party levels to win cool prizes.
- You can invite your friends and send ‘em gifts.
- Use the Turbo button to speed up your planting – and speed up the zombies.
- Be warned: when we were upgrading the map, somebody let in the Gargantuars.
Plants vs. Zombies™ 2
Plants vs. Zombies