It’s weird when the Apple Watch Series 3 launches and it’s a bigger story than a new iPhone release that occurred on the same day. Here’s a look back at the past seven days in tech.
Top News Stories
On Friday, Sept. 22, the first of Apple’s three big fall product launch dates occurred. Customers can now purchase the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, Apple TV 4K, and Apple Watch Series 3. Apple announced all four new products earlier this month.
The reviews for the new products were mostly good, although some did question whether the LTE Apple Watch was worth it:
Interestingly, the Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) was the first new Apple product to sell out during the pre-order period.
Limits to Apple TV 4K
Elsewhere, ahead of the new Apple TV 4K launch, Cupertino confirmed the only way to view 4K content on the entertainment device is through streaming. Downloads, at least for now, are limited to HD content.
Apple did extend the iTunes movies rental window for all titles from 24 hours to 48 hours, however.
Did a New iPhone Launch?
Millions of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus units will be sold over the coming months and perhaps years. However, the two handsets will almost certainly always be overshadowed by the iPhone X. Nothing proved this more than the small crowds greeting Apple employees on Friday when the iPhone 8 first went on sale.
Things certainly won’t be so quiet on Friday, Nov. 3 when the iPhone X arrives.
Other Tech News
Here are five more tech headlines making news this week:
- The iPhone 8 Plus Camera Called the Best Ever on a Smartphone in a New Review
- That T-Mobile-Sprint Merger Could Happen in October
- Apple TV 4K Could Gain Dolby Atmos Support, Eventually
- Final Production of the iPhone X Won’t Reportedly Start Until Mid-October
- Apple’s Perfectionism, Scarce Components and Will Cause iPhone X Shortages
App News and Reviews
With the arrival this week of ARKit, the first apps with augmented reality are now available on the App Store. Among those we highlighted this week include:
- Augmented Reality Apps
- The Best Augmented Reality Games Made For iOS 11
- Enjoy a Gorgeous Augmented Reality Tour of the Cosmos With Sky Guide AR
- Holo Brings ARKit to Your Photos and Home Videos
- CARROT Weather Has Augmented Reality to go Along With Her Snark
Meanwhile, Christine Chan published four new reviews:
Did you purchase a new Apple device this week? You’re probably going to need some accessories. We’ve got you covered …
What was your favorite event or story of the tech week? Let us know below.
What Was the Biggest News in Tech for You?— AppAdvice (@AppAdvice) September 24, 2017