On this Easter Sunday, we look back at a week that included the launch of the iPhone SE and 9.7-inch iPad Pro.
Top news stories
It’s a wrap
For more on Monday’s media event see:
- Op-Ed: Did Apple’s ‘iPhone SE’ event really loop us in?
- 5 final takeaways from Apple’s iPhone SE event
- Choosing the right model of iPhone for you: complicated choices
- A look at the latest lineup of Apple iOS devices
- Apple touts the progress of ResearchKit, launches CareKit
- Who is Liam, Apple’s recycling robot?
The U.S. government might not need Apple after all
Apple’s day in court over the San Bernardino iPhone 5c is delayed, perhaps indefinitely. A mobile forensic software provider named Cellebrite is behind the latest attempts to help the FBI gain access to the iPhone in question. Cellebrite declined to either confirm or deny its involvement in the case.
Apple Pay to expand
Since its launch in October 2014, Apple Pay has been offering quick and easy payments in partner stores and compatible apps. But Apple’s mobile payment service may soon be coming to a new turf: the complex of mobile websites.
Apple Pay’s expansion to mobile websites will be available in Safari on iPhones and iPads that feature Apple’s Touch ID technology.
On the App Store
Rock to all the songs you want
Who doesn’t love free, unlimited music? A new app called TubeLike – Free YouTube Music & Tube Player gives you exactly that. With playback control, a quick search feature, trending videos, and playlist support, TubeLike might just be the music app you have been waiting for.
Other apps and games making news:
Games in Review
Each week, Christine Chan reviews new App Store titles
I had been looking forward to @mos, but the game falls a bit short for me. The graphics have a vintage aesthetic, but I thought they were not great compared to what else is out there that has the same classic look and feel going on.- Christine Chan
This week’s reviews feature a new app for film lovers, one for Reddit users, and a few aliens:
- Connect, pop and collect the yokai in Yo-Kai Watch Wibble Wobble
- Solve puzzles and rescue cute bunnies in King Rabbit
- Milkeddit is a beautiful app to browse Reddit on your iPhone
- Defend Earth from invading aliens in radial shooter @mos
- Mimpi Dreams is a charming puzzle platformer for everyone
- Letterboxd is a beautiful app for film connoisseurs
Reviewed this week
First look: Woven Nylon Apple Watch strap
Much like the Sport Band, Apple is offering a number of different colorful options of the Woven Nylon strap for both the 38mm and 42mm watch. Along with a black version, buyers can also select from a gold/red, gold/royal blue, royal blue, pink, pearl, and scuba blue variant. If you already have a watch, each color can be purchased separately for $49.
You can see Brent Dirk’s full review here.
Other accessory news: