Customize. While 1Writer may look like a simple app on the surface, it packs in quite a punch when it comes to features. The settings in 1Writer allow users to customize the app to their liking, including themes and font styles, as well as other options that make the writing experience a whole lot better. You'll want to check out all of the available settings in 1Writer, because having the environment fit your needs is the most important thing to do before you actually start writing.
Simple to use. You can access all of your iCloud and Dropbox files with this app. Just find what you need to edit, or add new files to a specific folder. 1Writer also has a convenient keyboard extension with multiple pages that are full of useful Markdown formatting shortcuts and special characters that you may need to use in your writing. No matter what it is you need, 1Writer has you covered.
What is it about?
With 1Writer, users are greeted with a simple and clean interface that looks streamlined and easy-to-use. Users can pull in text files from their iCloud account or even just link specific Dropbox folders for full access to their existing files. When you write, 1Writer will do live-previews for Markdown formatting, including inserting images. There is a full keyboard extension that has useful shortcuts for Markdown formatting and other things like special characters. 1Writer even has a built-in web browser so you can do research without having to leave the app, which is even better on the iPad. Once you’re done writing, there are many export options available to you if needed, so you can make sure that what you worked on gets published or seen properly. And on top of that, 1Writer allows full customization of the theme and fonts, so you can tweak it to your liking.
For those who...
- Want a beautiful but powerful text editor for all their writing needs
- Need a browser in their text editor for research
- Want both iCloud and Dropbox support
Not for those who...
- Don't need a browser while writing
- Need an app that supports the entire writing process
- Want something that can use workflows to automate writing
Why we love it
1Writer is a powerful text editor but it still retains a simplistic look and feel. We are impressed with the customizable aesthetics and love the functionality that it still manages to pack in the app.
App Store Description
1Writer combines all the basic text editing features you would expect with all the advanced features you will ever need. Use 1Writer to write, research, revise, and share your ideas with maximum efficiency.
- - - - - - - - - -
"The only Dropbox- and Markdown-enabled text editor for iPhone that’s clicked with me has been 1Writer. It’s simple, looks great, and gets the job done." - TheSweetSetup.com
"Really great app, really recommend it." - Federico Viticci, MacStories.net
"The app interface is beautiful and distraction-free, with loads of other awesome features lurking beneath its simple exterior. It's now my go-to iPhone text editor." - Chris Gonzales, ToolsandToys.net
"For users that want a great visual experience paired with great support for custom actions and third party apps, 1Writer is an excellent choice." - iMore.com
"1Writer is the most powerful text editor available for iPhone." - Phillip Gruneich
- - - - - - - - - -
- Write :: generate and edit plain text or Markdown files.
- Preview :: see the formatted results with Markdown syntax highlighting while you write and a full, rich-text preview when you're done.
- Extended keyboard :: a convenient row of buttons for navigation, formatting, special characters (customizable--pick the characters you use the most).
- Insert photo :: pick a photo or take a new one, and 1Writer will upload it to Dropbox and generate the Markdown-syntax to add it to your document--all in a single action!
- Snippets :: TextExpander Touch support.
- Custom URL actions :: insert a document template, encode a selection and replace the original text, look up synonyms and much more*.
- iCloud Drive support.
- Sync your existing Dropbox folders and documents.
- Share extension :: send text to 1Writer from other apps. In Safari, the extension uses the current URL, page title and selected text to create a new document.
- Create, append, prepend, or replace text directly from other apps using the 1Writer URL scheme.
- CloudApp and Dropbox :: generate a link to share your document in plain text or PDF.
- Evernote :: pick your notebook, add tags and turn a text selection or the entire document into a new, rich-text note.
- Copy HTML :: put the formatted text for your document directly on the clipboard.
- Custom actions :: open a web search, tweet a selection, save a series of items in a list and much more*.
- A dark theme for more comfortable reading and writing at night.
- Choose from 20 different fonts.
- Bookmark and sync the Dropbox folders you want to have quick access to the sub-folders and documents you need.
- Use a passcode or Touch ID to protect the app from unauthorized users.
- In-app web browser :: research, look up information without having to leave the app.
- Bookmarks :: create and access your favorite websites.
- Save the current text selection to the clipboard in Markdown syntax.
- 1Password support :: login to all your accounts using the 1Password extension.
EVEN MORE GREAT FEATURES
- Drag and drop support on iOS 11.
- Open in Place support.
- Search documents from Spotlight.
- Quick Actions for iPhone 6s.
- Find & replace within document.
- Photo and PDF preview.
- Today widget :: access your recent documents from the Notification Center or create a new document in one tap.
- Checklist support :: create a list of things to do or topics to research, and easily check them off.
- Search and hashtag support :: search within a folder to find the document you need, and view related documents that have the same hashtag.
* Compatible third-party apps include: Drafts, Terminology, Day One, Editorial, Phraseology, Byword, Ulysses, Tumblr, Chrome, Gmail, Launch Center Pro, Tweetbot, Dispatch, Due, Fantastical, Clear, OmniFocus, Things, 2Do and many more.