The popular PhotoToaster received a big update this weekend making a number of interesting changes to the $2.99 photo-editing application. Bumping the app up to version 6.0, the most recent update for PhotoToaster can be downloaded now on the App Store and it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
As a reminder, PhotoToaster is a fully-featured photo-editing application for iOS, and it offers users access to a wide range of effects, one-click settings, live sliders, borders, and more. Its last sizeable update, PhotoToaster 5.5, added a major redesign for iOS 7 and surfaced on the App Store back in October.
This time around, developer East Coast Pixels has focused on improving the photo-editing tools made available in the application. As outlined in the app’s release notes, changes made in PhotoToaster’s 6.0 update include:
- the album picker has been replaced with a custom photo picker that has a larger thumbnail size and allows for zooming in on photos before using them
- tint is now shadow and highlight tint to allow for split toning
- sharpen is now detail and can sharpen or soften depending on direction (the algorithm has been improved to provide a better result particularly with larger values)
- the blur vignette has been separated from the brightness vignette so that each can have it’s own size
- shadows and highlights can now go in either direction so you can darken shadows and lighten highlights (the algorithm was rewritten for a higher quality result)
- there are several new global presets that make use of some of the changes
- the FX brushes has a new option for soft focus, this can be helpful for removing wrinkles or blemishes
- precision sliders are used in some cases and activated by moving away from the control to allow for more precise adjustment
- custom size for crop and save
Plus, all of the above changes can be accessed in the application for no extra cost; East Coast Pixels explains that none of PhotoToaster’s new features require an in-app purchase to unlock, which is great to see.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with the application, here’s how my colleague Christine described PhotoToaster in her original review:
I found the interface of PhotoToaster to be clean and efficient. The icon is beautiful as well. This is truly a powerful photo editor and gives you complete control of how your images appear. The best part is that it does all of this fast.
Now that PhotoToaster has received its 6.0 update, however, the application is better than ever.
As mentioned, you can download PhotoToaster 6.0 on the App Store for $2.99, and it’s optimized for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Check out the updated application now, or see: Today’s Apps Gone Free: PhotoMotion, Path Input, Pixel Gun 3D And More, Captain Bubblenaut Gains More Bounce As It Goes Universal For iPad, and Moldiv 2.0 Brings New iOS 7 Design And New Features For Better Collage-Making.[gallery]