Last January, we told you that a brand new sequel to Boulder Dash would be coming to iOS in celebration of the classic puzzle adventure game’s 30th anniversary. Well, the sequel, aptly called Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary, has just been released on the App Store.
Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary is not only notable for its commemoration of three decades of Boulder Dashing. It’s also noteworthy as it marks the first collaboration of the original creators of Boulder Dash, TapStar Interactive cofounder Chris Gray and programmer Peter Liepa, since the game’s launch in 1984.
Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary is also the first free-to-play Boulder Dash game on iOS. And it also introduces new gameplay elements including diagonal movement, unlockable heroes in addition to the legendary Rockford, a new cave editor, and 40 spooky levels just in time for Halloween.
If you can’t see the video embedded above, please click here.
The game boasts the following key features:
- 200+ all-new levels and more advanced physics
- Never-before-seen worlds and new creatures with 3D elements and animations
- New multicolored gem combos, treasure chests, rare collectibles and spectacular power-ups!
- All power-ups and cave packs featuring all worlds, additional creatures and features available as unlockables; or, as In-App-Purchases
- Play as Rockford™ or unlock/purchase 8 other playable male and female characters including Crystal™
- First Boulder Dash game ever to include diagonal walls and movement
The new game is the fourth Boulder Dash title to be released on iOS, following the no-longer-available Boulder Dash Vol. 1 (released in May 2009) Boulder Dash: Rocks! (August 2009) and Boulder Dash-XL (November 2012).