Originally called Gramatica, Primary is an Instagram-integrated app that lets you hide unwanted photos and videos, show or hide all videos, create lists of users and tags, switch between multiple accounts, and more.
Note, though, that while it uses Instagram's API, it's neither endorsed by Instagram nor designed to support posting of photos and videos to Instagram.
Nevertheless, as it stands, Primary is already packed with features, even more so now at version 3.0.
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 8.0 or later, Primary 3.0 includes support for Background App Refresh (so that your feed is always refreshed) and 1Password integration (so that you need not enter your password manually).
Primary 3.0 also boasts native resolution support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus — the better to see Instagram photos and videos in their full glory.
If you can’t see the video embedded above, please click here.
Primary 3.0 also includes the following enhancements:
- App badge: see how many new posts are waiting for you
- Auto-theme change: theme updates based on screen brightness
- Faster photo hiding: swipe right-to-left to hide a post; keep swiping to hide the person
- Shake to undo: accidentally hid something? Just shake to bring it back
- More sharing options: long-press to share
- Fullscreen optional: you can now choose to show the status bar while you browse
- Show real names: choose to view people's full names rather than usernames
- Unread comments improvements: better syncing, Unread comments list, indicator in the thumbnail view, and an option to remove the indicator
- Text filter improvements: you can now choose to filter based on the text of the caption, not just tags
- Key commands for iPad: ⌘+12345 to jump through sections, up/down to scroll, ⌘+F to toggle filtering, ⌘+R to refresh
- Thumbnail scrolling: automatically loads more in the thumbnail sidebar
- Tutorial: we'll guide you through the basics
- FAQ: answers to your most frequent questions
- Bug fixes
At the moment, the app is priced at $1.99. But it's expected to go freemium soon, with in-app purchases to be offered for unlocking all features.
If you've previously purchased Primary, you automatically get access to all features at no additional charge.
See also: Instagram gains new filters, Facebook rolls out new photo auto-enhancement features, Instagram has 300 million reasons to celebrate this holiday season, and Instagram users can now edit captions and more with a new update.