As it turns out, the reports of the demise of Tweetbot for Mac have been greatly exaggerated.
A couple of days ago, the Mac edition of the popular Tweetbot third-party Twitter client for iOS developed by Tapbots was pulled from the App Store amid login and authentication issues affecting a number of users. Apparently, the app had exceeded the token limit imposed on third-party clients, which was introduced by Twitter in August 2012.
But now, Tweetbot for Mac has been reinstated on the Mac App Store. “We’ve worked with Twitter to resolve Tweetbot for Mac authentication issues,” Tapbots says in a tweet.
As an avid user of the app, I’m glad to see the return of Tweetbot for Mac, especially since it’s clearly a better Twitter client for Mac than Twitter’s own. Tweetbot for Mac boasts the following key features:
- Multiple Timelines. Quickly switch between your lists as your main timeline.
- Multiple Windows and Columns. Display timelines from different accounts side by side.
- Notification Center Support.
- Beautiful Retina graphics.
- Mute filters lets you block messages from users without unfollowing them. You can also mute hashtags and specific keywords.
- Sync timeline position, direct message read statuses and mute filters between your Mac, iPhone and iPad via iCloud.
- Support for multiple services like Pocket, Instapaper, Readability, CloudApp and Droplr.
- Save drafts, add locations and POI’s, attach photos/videos, manage your lists, and much more.
See also: Twitterrific for iOS finally updated with support for sharing multiple Twitter images, Twitter launches tweet translation feature in partnership with Bing, and While you were away, Twitter added something to your timeline on iOS.