Instagram, the photo-sharing social network owned by Facebook, has brought a new iOS app called Layout to the App Store.
Available free of charge and optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch, Layout allows users to easily create “fun, one-of-a-kind layouts by remixing your own photos and sharing them with your friends.” You can remix up to nine images together in one single Instagram-generated Layout using the application, and a huge selection of preconfigured designs are available for iPhone owners to deploy.
Photos can be selected from the iOS Photos application, or Layout also allows users to snap images on the spot with a built-in Photo Booth feature. Usefully, the app supports facial recognition, too, allowing Layout users to quickly find photos with their favourite people in them; this is accessible from a handy tab located along the bottom of the screen.
Creations can be saved to the iOS Photos app, too, or users can indeed send them off to their favorite social network (Instagram, of course, would be a good choice). Recent selections are also readily available in the app, allowing iPhone owners to put together collages with a minimal number of taps.
To recap, here’s a complete list of features available in Layout:
- Re-mix up to 9 of your photos at a time to create fun, personalized layouts.
- Use the Faces tab to quickly find photos with people in them.
- Capture the moment in Photo Booth mode with quick, spontaneous shots.
- Save your layouts to your camera roll and share them seamlessly to Instagram or other networks.
- Easily see the last 30 photos you’ve selected in the Recents tab.
- Pair your layouts with Instagram’s filters and creative tools afterwards to make them stand out even more.
- Download and start creating immediately. No signup or account required—and no clutter breaking up your flow.
Of course, Layout will be an obvious boon for fans of Instagram. Most of us have been leaning on third-party iOS apps to combine our images together up until now. Layout, however, looks like it’ll make it easier than ever for iPhone owners to create, save, and share photo collages using their smartphone.
As mentioned, Layout can be downloaded free of charge on the App Store, and it’s optimized for the iPhone and iPod touch.
Check out the new app now, or see: Apple releases a fifth beta version of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 to registered developers and the public testing program, Capitan app offers ‘smart’ shopping, and MLB is important to HBO and Apple and it has nothing to do with baseball.