Another big-name app now supports Apple’s CarPlay. Amazon’s Audible app has just been updated to version 2.5 with the functionality.
With the new feature, users will be able to interact with the audiobook service directly from their vehicle’s CarPlay-enabled system.
Other improvements in the update include a revamped design on both the iPhone and iPad, changes to the sleep timer, a new tab bar, and more. Here’s the complete list of changes:
• CarPlay is now available for Audible!
• Lock Screen/Control Center – Previously, the Lock Screen/Control Center buttons were always chapter forward/back, even if your settings were for 30-second forward/back. Now, your lock screen/Control Center will feature the correct icons.
• Sleep Timer – There is now a “Reset Timer” option after the sleep timer ends, reducing the number of taps from 4 to 2.
• Sleep Timer – The fade-out returns.
• Discover – On iPhone, we’ve updated the visual design by removing the dark overlay and going to a grid.
• Discover – On iPad, we’ve replaced “Discover” with a true browse experience (it used to just be search). It should now mirror the iPhone version.
• When you sample a book from a book detail page in “Discover” or search, it now plays in the player. This allows you to leave the detail page and still listen to the sample.
• New Tab Bar – We moved Settings into the main navigation and created an overflow menu (on iPhone) for the items that no longer fit on the main tab.
Audibooks from Audible is a universal app designed for the iPhone/iPod touch and iPad/iPad mini. It can be downloaded now on the App Store for free.
Head on over to Audible’s site to sign up for a free, 30-day trial of the service. After the trial ends, membership costs $14.95 per month and includes one audiobook per month. With a membership, you can purchase other books for 30 percent off. There are more than 180,000 titles available through Audible.
Back in March, the similar Audio Books app was also updated with CarPlay support. A small number of other third-party apps, including Spotify, Rdio, Overcast, and more, also work with CarPlay-compatible systems.
For other app news today, see: The Yoga 8 update brings improvements for the Apple Watch and Health app integration, The side scrolling racer Drace received an update offering a new ranking system, and Now you can use Apple Watch to listen to SoundCloud music and audio.