As expected, Apple has announced its 2017 iPad Pro lineup at today’s Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). There’s a new 10.5-inch iPad Pro and a second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
The new 10.5-inch iPad Pro includes an all-new A10X Fusion chip with side bezels 40 percent smaller than the current 9.7-inch model. Additionally, the screen can display a full keyboard for the first time. Additionally, Apple will offer new Smart Keyboards in 30 more languages for both tablets.
Both new iPads include a 50 percent brighter True Tone display and “ProMotion” technology which increases refresh rates up to 120hz.
Cameras have also been upgraded with the same sensor as the iPhone 7 on the back and the front.
All iPad Pro models also include USB 3 transfer speeds and faster charging with USB-C charging adapters.
Beginning with iOS 11 this fall, the new iPads will include:
- A new customizable Dock that provides quick access to frequently used apps and documents from any screen;
- Improved multitasking, including a redesigned app switcher that brings Spaces to iOS, making it easier to move between apps or pairs of active apps, used in Split View and now Slide Over;
- The new Files app that keeps everything in one place, whether files are stored locally, in iCloud Drive or across other providers like Box, Dropbox and more;
- Multi-Touch Drag and Drop, which is available across the system to move text, photos and files from one app to another, anywhere on the screen;
- A new document scanner in Notes, which lets users easily scan single or multi-page documents, removes shadows and uses powerful image filters to enhance readability; and
- Deeper integration with Apple Pencil, with support for inline drawing to write along text in Notes and Mail, Instant Markup to easily sign documents, annotate PDFs or draw on screenshots, and a new Instant Notes feature, which opens Notes from the Lock Screen by simply tapping Apple Pencil on the display. New searchable handwriting makes it easy to search for handwritten text or characters.
The 10.5-inch iPad Pro comes in silver, space gray, gold, and rose gold and starts at $649 for the 64GB with Wi-Fi model and $779 for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro is available in silver, space gray, and gold and starts at $799 for the 64GB Wi-Fi model and $929 for the 64GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model.
Both models go on sale today, June 5 with shipments beginning next week.
This is breaking news. We’ll be updating this post with all of the details.