Apple surprised developers on Wednesday, June 21 by introducing iOS 11 beta 2. We also heard more news about the so-called “iPhone 8.” Here’s our look back at the past seven days in tech.
Top Stories: Latest iOS 11 beta drops, public beta next?
Though the iOS 11 beta 2 release was expected last week, its arrival came at a weird time. Cupertino traditionally releases betas at around 10 a.m. PDT. This one launched much later in the day.
- A Closer Look at the Apple Music Profile Page in iOS 11
- Check Out Inside Maps in iOS 11 Developer Preview 2
What’s in it? Per Brent Dirks, the iOS 11 beta 2 release includes:
- Do Not Disturb While Driving is now active. All of the Settings can be found in Settings, Do Not Disturb.
- Google Drive is now an option in the Files app.
- A new Apple Music search option.
- On the iPad, you can now disable recent apps from appearing in the dock. That can be found in Settings, Multitasking.
- A new “Save to Files” share sheet replaces “Save to iCloud Drive.” That will allow users to share documents to the new Files app.
- Users can disable the swipe up gesture to access Control Center within apps. It can still be accessed on the home screen. That can be found in Settings, Control Center.
What’s next: Apple promised the first iOS 11 public beta would launch before the end of June. Watch for it in the coming days.
Other Tech Headlines
Here are five other tech headlines from the past week:
- Foxconn to Decide on US Factory Location in July, 6 States Are Finalists
- This iPhone 8 Dummy Provides a Great Real-World Look at the Handset
- Analyst: Apple’s Still Stuck on the ‘iPhone 8’s’ Fingerprint Scanner
- A Leaked iPhone 8 Screen Protector Shows off Smaller Bezels Location of Front-Facing Camera
- Apple Secrecy Is Alive and Well, As This LEAKED Recording Shows
App Store Highlights, Reviews
We also published three new game reviews, including:
A new iPad deserves a new keyboard, no? Logitech hopes so as it introduced a new Slim Combo for the 10.5-inch iPad Pro. A version for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is also available.
Looking for more?
The Week Ahead
On Thursday, Apple celebrates the 10th anniversary of the first iPhone, which arrived in stores on June 29, 2007.
The Cisco Live conference begins today, June 25 through June 29.
Have you installed iOS 11 beta 2? What do you think? Leave your comments below.