Uber has just launched its very own developer API, enabling other apps to be integrated with its on-demand transportation service.
With the API, other apps can directly pass a destination address to the Uber app, display pickup times, provide fare estimates, and do other Uber-related stuff. Requesting a ride in other apps is also made possible by the API, although this function is initially available through select Uber partners only.
- Dinner date? Request an Uber to your favorite restaurant right from the OpenTable app. Your driver will arrive already knowing where you are headed.
- Catching a flight? The United mobile app shows ETAs of the closest drivers and fare estimates, so you can get reliable ride to and from the airport for less.
- Night out? Time Out shows different Uber options—from low-cost to luxury—so you can be sure to arrive in style to the city’s best nightlife.
- Need a place to stay? Book a room through the Hyatt Hotels & Resorts app and request a ride to your hotel right from the reservation screen.
- Want a recap of your journey? Use Momento to view a timeline of your Uber trip history alongside other moments in your life.
Uber for iOS was recently updated with support for Uber Business for frequent corporate travelers, destination entry for riders, and turn-by-turn navigation for drivers.