Developed by FireCore (the team behind the popular aTV Flash software for jailbroken Apple TVs), Infuse is considered one of the most excellent video player apps, what with its support for multiple formats and streaming options and its bevy of other video consumption features.
Now, its feature set has undergone yet another major expansion with the arrival of its 4.0 update.
That’s right. Launched on iOS in April 2013, Infuse has been updated to version 4.0. That is to say, Infuse 4 is here.
Enhanced playback and iPad Pro optimization
While it offers nothing significantly new on the surface, Infuse 4 actually comes with a number of behind-the-scenes improvements.
Foremost among these is a new playback core built on modern frameworks. This makes for smoother playback of videos with resolutions up to 4K and high-performance playback on newer devices including the iPad Pro, whose 2,732-by-2,048 resolution the app now also supports.
Tweaks have also been made throughout the app for faster browsing and better battery consumption.
VoiceOver support, custom favorite artwork and more
Users with visual disabilities will find Infuse 4 quite favorable as it features integration with VoiceOver. This enables blind or otherwise visually impaired users to easily access all of the app’s features with the help of Apple’s gesture-based screen reader, as when controlling playback, reading movie titles and descriptions, and adjusting settings.
Infuse 4 also features support for adding custom artwork for favorites and folders, which will appear right on the app’s home screen.
Infuse 4 also includes the following welcome changes:
- Faster (like way faster) metadata fetching
- 5 all-new video zoom options
- Extra display options for subtitle font, size, and weight
- Landscape lock for iPad
- Extra sort order options
- Streaming-related optimizations and improvements
- Improved default audio track selection
- Improved title sorting
- Improved reliability of AirPlay and Google Cast
- Many subtle UI improvements
- Many, many, many other minor improvements and fixes
Infuse 4.0.3 for Apple TV
Along with Infuse 4 for iOS comes Infuse 4.0.3 for Apple TV, which is a follow-up update to the Apple TV app that arrived on the tvOS App Store in December.
Infuse 4.0.3 for Apple TV includes the ability to stream audio to AirPlay speakers, support for DivX/Xvid (.avi), and the following changes:
- Additional font size/weight options for subtitles
- Option to use edge taps to jump between chapters
- Option to hide Recently Watched on home screen
- 10s icon while hovering
- Improved SMB loading times
- Improved audio track selection logic
- Improved Favorite edit screen
- Improved error resilience for SMB connections
- Improved metadata fetching
- Adjusted title sorting
- Updated localizations
- Disabled false positive playback warnings
- Various playback improvements
- A few other minor fixes
Get Infuse 4
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad running iOS 8.0 or later, Infuse 4 is available now on the App Store for free, with in-app purchases offered for unlocking Infuse Pro features. A separate Infuse Pro app is also available for $9.99, with all features already unlocked.
Infuse Pro features include support for additional video formats, DTS audio support, AirPlay and Google Cast streaming, Trakt syncing, and background audio playback. Pro features are carried over from the iOS app to the Apple TV app, and vice versa.
Note that Infuse 4 is not a brand new app; it comes as a free update to the previous version of the free edition, Infuse 3, and to the previous version of the paid edition, Infuse Pro.