With kids using more iPhones and iPads, the number of app-enabled toys and games for younger users continues to grow. We’re highlighting some great choices that let younger users to learn, play, and more.
Take Your Lightsaber and Jump Into the World of Star Wars
May the Force be with you in the fun and fast-paced Star Wars: Jedi Challenges. The AR game needs your iPhone with the companion app installed. Place it in the special headset and begin. With the lightsaber controller, you can engage in virtual lightsaber duals with iconic characters like Darth Vader. You can also play holochess and engage in strategic combat across the galaxy.
- Can use a 4.7-inch or 5.5-inch iPhone.
- Includes an AR headset, lightsaber controller, and tracking beacon.
Combine the Real and Digital Worlds With this Fun Racing Game
Well known for its huge line of educational games, Osmo is bringing the classic Hot Wheels toys to a new generation. Osmo Hot Wheels MindRacers. Designed for kids 7 and older, you’ll need to provide an iPad. But using the base, gamers can race through eight different wolds with fun challenges and more. The fast-paced game tests kids brains and reflexes as they’ll need to throw down tokens to control the action of their race car.
- Comes with six different Hot Wheel cars with their own unique personalities, skills.
- Kids can race competitively, in a cooperative mode or by themselves.
Kids Can Use All 26 Letters to Learn the Alphabet and More on an iPad
Designed for kids 3-6, Marbotic's Smart Letters are a great way to help children start building critical language skills. Providing all 26 letters, they can be used in three free apps. The wooden letters are gentle on a tablet's screen and don't require any connection via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. They also don't need to be charged.
- The letters can be used with three, free apps.
- Wooden letters are designed to be gentle on the tablet's screen.
- No charging or wireless signal required to play.
Jump Into Racing Action With this Special Edition of the Fun Driving Game
The popular Anki Overdrive racing game is taking a fast and furious twist. The new Fast and Furious edition allows gamers to battle against or alongside the Toretto crew. Featuring the iconic voice of the characters from the movie series, kids can drive Dom’s Ice Charger or Hobbs’ MXT. Each car features unique weapons and tactics.
- Compatible with all other Anki Overdrive accessories.
- Build up to eight different battlefields.
A Cloud-Connected Coloring Book that can be Used Over and Over
The simple coloring book is even getting smarter. With the Rocketbook Color, children can create art on the 12-page notebook and erase it when done. Using an iOS device and the companion app, the art can be saved and shared via email or saved to a number of different popular cloud services.
- Drawings can be saved to popular cloud services like Dropbox.
- Works with popular dry erase products.
An App-Enabled Race Car Packed with Technology
Take home that Piston Cup championship with this toy from Sphero. The Ultimate Lightning McQueen is all about racing. And just like the movie version, Sphero’s version is packed with a number of animatronic features – including eye and body movements – that help his personality shine through. While the price not be for everyone, the Ultimate Lightning McQueen is fun app-enabled toy full of personality and perfect for kids, and fans of the "Cars" franchise of all ages.
- Can race at up to 6MPH for up to 40 minutes on a single charge.
- Watch the original "Cars" and see the toy respond to what's happening on the screen.
- Use the app to race, play mini-games, and more.
This Small, Compact Drone is Perfect for Beginners
Drones are quickly becoming less expensive and even easier to use. The DJI Spark is a small, compact drone great for kids and beginners. Along with capturing 1080p video, it can snap 12-megapixel photos while the air. And the Spark offers a number of other great features including QuickShot and ActiveTrack that will automatically recognize a subject and keep it in the frame while following.
- Use the companion app or even hand gestures to control the drone in flight.
- Can fly for up to 16 minutes on a single charge.
This Robot is Packed with Technology and Sensors and Perfect for Older Children
Wonder Workshop burst onto the scene in 2014 with Dash and Dot, a pair of robots that helped teach younger children coding basics in a fun and entertaining package. And now the company is following up that success with its latest robot – Cue. Packed with technology, the Cue features new AI systems, precision motors, proximity sensors, IR receivers and transmitters, and microphones and speaker.
- Can teach a number of coding principles.
- Four different avatars to select from, each with their own personalities.
- Designed for kids 11 and older.
Kids Can Build a Home of Their Dreams With This Fun App
Help spark your child’s imagination with the fun Dr. Panda Plus Home Designer. Using the colored markers and flash cards, kids can create whatever they’d like. Then using an iPhone or iPad, they can watch as the creation appear in 3D. Kids learn about words, letters, spelling, and more when they delicate their house.
- Kids can choose from 51 flash cards.
- Made for kids 4-6.
Bring the Iconic Star Wars Droid to Your Home
Any fan of the movie series should immediately recognize R2-D2. Just like Sphero's BB-8, R2-D2 can be controlled with the companion Sphero Droids app. It features an integrated speaker so fans can hear the droid’s iconic beeps and boops. There are also authentic LED lights on the front and rear.
- Authentic movement just like the droid in the Star Wars universe.
- Can interact with other Sphero droids including BB-8 and BB-9E.