June 23, 2014
Apple's chief manufacturing partner is set to carry out its largest single hiring spree as it prepares to produce the so-called "iPhone 6." According to Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via Reuters), the Taiwan-based Hon Hai Precision Industry aka Foxconn will recruit more than 100,000 workers in mainland China to help assemble Apple's next-generation smartphone. Pegatron, another Taiwan-based Apple assembler, is also expected to increase its workforce in one of its factories by 30 percent to meet the expected high demand for the iPhone 6. Foxconn is said to handle 70 percent of the smartphone's production. The other 30 percent is set to be produced by Pegatron. Previously, Pegatron's iPhone 6 production percentage was reported to be as little as 15 percent and as large as 50 percent. Mass production of the iPhone 6 is expected to commence next month in time for a widely rumored launch in September. The iPhone 6 is expected to come in two sizes, a 4.7-inch model and a 5.5-inch "phablet"-style one. See also: New Leaked Photos Show Display Measurement Of Apple's 5.5-Inch "iPhone 6," A New Report Says The "iPhone 6" Might Include A Barometer, and Apple's 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Compared With Samsung Galaxy Note 3 In New Video.