Is your favorite feed reader app not yet updated for iOS 8 and iPhone 6? Then perhaps you’re looking for an alternative that’s already been. If so, consider the newly updated NewsBlur.
Released just over three years ago, NewsBlur is a universal feed reader app for iOS that offers its very own standalone RSS aggregation service, making it one of the true replacements of the now defunct Google Reader.
And through its latest update, NewsBlur has been optimized for the latest version of Apple’s mobile operating system and for the new versions of Apple’s smartphone.
Indeed, NewsBlur now supports iOS 8 as well as iOS 7. And it now fully supports the larger Retina HD displays of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus.
In addition, the latest update to NewsBlur brings the following improvements:
- Moving between the feed list, story list, and story detail is now much faster
- Images are now “full bleed”, extending to the entire width of the screen
- New preference for hiding feeds after they are read
- Long press images in a story to read the alt text
- Long press images in a story to save it to your camera roll
- Long press images in a story to zoom into it
- Long press links in a story to get an actions menu (safari, instapaper, bookmark, etc)
- Fixed all iOS 8 issues (preference panes, profile popovers)
- OvershareKit updated for iOS 8
- Pull to refresh updated to match theme
- Pull to refresh date is now localized
NewsBlur is featured in AppAdvice’s RSS Readers For The iPad AppGuide.
NewsBlur joins the likes of Fiery Feeds and Newsify in the select group of popular feed reader apps that have been duly updated for iOS 8 and the new iPhones. A glaring holdout from this group is Reeder, perhaps the most popular feed reader app for iOS.