Observed on Dec. 1, World AIDS Day is aimed at raising awareness of AIDS and at raising funds for organizations set up to fight the pandemic, including the Global Fund, which is backed by U2 frontman Bono’s Product (RED) brand.
Notably, Product (RED) has long been supported by Apple, particularly through special promotions.
This time, Apple has partnered for a special promotion with a number of developers to offer their apps and games with (RED)-inspired icons and content updates, with proceeds from the promotion set to be donated to the Global Fund.
One of the apps included in the promotion is Apple’s very own GarageBand, which offers an in-app purchase to unlock the limited-edition Loop Pack, including “an exclusive collection of 300 guitar, bass, synth and drum loops in a variety of genres.”
Clear, the popular to-do app developed by Realmac Software and Impending, has also gone (RED) with a special (RED) theme available via in-app purchase.
Other apps and games included in Apple’s (RED) promotion on the App Store include:
- Bubble Witch 2 Saga by King, featuring two (RED) levels
- Clash of Clans by Supercell, featuring (Pile of Gems)RED Town Hall decorations
- CSR Racing by NaturalMotion, featuring the red Mercedes-AMG GT car
- Cut the Rope 2 by ZeptoLab, featuring a special (RED) bundle
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush by Gameloft, featuring exclusive (RED) content
- Djay 2 and Djay 2 for iPhone by Algoriddim, featuring free (RED) skin and (RED) sample pack via in-app purchase
- FarmVille 2: Country Escape by Zynga, featuring exclusive (RED)-themed content
- FIFA 15 Ultimate Team by EA Sports, featuring (RED) FIFA Points Pack and (RED) Tournament
- Frozen Free Fall by Disney, featuring (RED) Challenge
- Heads Up! by Warner Bros., featuring limited-edition (Heads Up!)RED deck
- The Human Body by Tinybop, featuring a working model of the body
- Kim Kardashian: Hollywood by Glu Games, featuring limited-time (RED) items
- Kitchen Stories Recipes by AJNS New Media, featuring exclusive (RED) holiday recipe selection
- Monument Valley by Ustwo, featuring Ida’s (RED) Dream chapter
- Over by Over, featuring (RED) fonts and art packs
- Paper by FiftyThree, featuring special (RED) design
- Puzzle & Dragons by GungHo Online Entertainment, featuring (Magic Stone)RED item
- Rayman Fiesta Run by Ubisoft, featuring (Lums)RED and (RED) editions of playable characters
- The Sims FreePlay by Electronic Arts, featuring special (RED) items
- Star Walk 2 by Vito Technology, featuring the RED planet, Mars
- Threes by Sirvo, featuring (RED) theme
- Toca Town by Toca Boca, featuring (RED) redesign and items
The promotion officially runs for two weeks, from Monday, Nov. 24, through Sunday, Dec. 7.
In addition to this initiative, Apple’s World AIDS Day campaign includes a couple of other special promotions on Nov. 28 and Dec. 1.
On Friday, Nov. 28, which is Black Friday, Apple will give away a special edition (RED) iTunes gift card with the purchase of select Apple products in the U.S. What’s more, Apple will donate a portion to the Global Fund for each gift card distributed.
And on Monday, Dec. 1, which is Cyber Monday as well as World AIDS Day itself, Apple will donate a portion of every sale at its retail and online stores to the Global Fund.
Apple’s contributions to the Global Fund through (RED) reached the $70 million milestone in April.
Last year, Apple launched a new Dance (RED) Save Lives album on iTunes and took part in a (RED) charity auction featuring items curated by Apple designers Jony Ive and Marc Newson. And earlier this year, Apple partnered with (RED) to raise funds from Bank of America by offering free iTunes downloads of U2’s “Invisible.”
Apple is expected to soon give its stores a (RED) makeover in honor of World AIDS Day, just as it did last year.