Here’s our look back at the holiday week that was in tech.
The biggest story of the week: Dreaming about future iPhones
We’re hearing a lot of rumors about Apple’s upcoming handsets, whether it be the “iPhone 7″ in 2016 or “iPhone 8″ in 2018.
One new report notes that next year’s iPhone may ship without a 3.5mm headphone jack. Instead, the iPhone 7 would ship with Lightning-equipped EarPods. The result: the thinnest iPhone ever created. Meanwhile, it looks like the iPhone 8 may be the first to feature an OLED display.
As Joe White noted:
OLED, as a technology, offers consumer electronics owners a number of benefits over more conventional LCD panels. For one, the technology uses less power (making the device itself more battery efficient). They can also be thinner and lighter than LCD, offer wider viewing angles, higher brightness, and significantly higher contrast levels. Finally, OLED features fast response times and wonderful color reproduction.
Also making news: The holiday gifting season begins
Are you looking for the perfect holiday gift for the techie on your list? Perhaps hoping to score some deals for yourself? You’ve come to the right place. In the coming days, AppAdvice will publish our annual holiday gift guides. First up: 8 perfect accessory gift ideas for Apple Watch owners and AppAdvice’s ultimate accessory gift guide for guys.
- The Apple TV’s App Store now features seven different categories
- A teardown of the Apple Smart Keyboard shows the iPad Pro accessory is definitely durable
- Apple Pay reportedly coming to China by February 2016
- Here’s why Thursday night football won’t be streamed
- How strongly could the iPad Pro outsell the Surface Pro 4?
Big app news: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, out now on iOS
In a cantina far, far away, you can become the best hologamer in the galaxy — by playing Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes right on your iOS device wherever you may be.
Developed by Electronic Arts in collaboration with Lucasfilm, Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes is an RPG-style turn-based battle game where your goal is to become a Holotable master. To reach that goal you have to strategically assemble teams of heroes basically by mixing and matching characters from the “Star Wars” films and TV shows, and from both the light side and the dark side.
Other app news:
- Get in the holiday spirit with Christmas advent calendar apps
- Enter the beautiful, relaxing puzzle world of Ozaiko
- It looks like Amazon’s Prime Video is coming to Apple TV ‘within a few weeks’
- Carcassonne developer does interactive fiction with One Button Travel for iOS
- Tomb-raiding puzzle game Lara Croft Go updated with free expansion
What’s coming up? The week ahead
Las Vegas, Nevada is the place to be for this week’s AppSphere, which begins tomorrow, Nov. 30. The business-focused conference runs through Dec. 4.
The Mobile Media Summit arrives in Miami, Florida on Dec. 1. The two-day event features speakers from Barcardi, Ogilvy, and more.
What will be happening in the week ahead? Visit AppAdvice to find out.