Apple will announce the company’s latest iPhone lineup this fall. This year’s offerings are likely to be significant because 2017 is the 10th anniversary of the first iPhone, which was launched in June 2007. Here are the latest iPhone rumors for the year. Come back often for updates.
One year, three new iPhones?
Last updated April 17, 2017
Cupertino is likely to announce three new iPhones this year.
“iPhone 8” or “iPhone Edition”
First among these could be a 5.8-inch model featuring an OLED display. According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, this model will include an “active screen area” of between 5.1 and 5.2-inches.
Key components, rumors:
- Could be called iPhone Edition
- Available with 64GB and 256GB of storage
- All glass design
- Water resistance improved to IP68
- 10-nanometer A11 chip
- Wireless Charging, probably using Qi protocol
- Iris scanning for authentication
- Edge-to-edge display from Samsung; 92 million panels ordered?
- True Tone
- Camera and Touch ID integrated with the display
- Long-range wireless charging
- First new iPhone design since iPhone 6 launched in 2014
- “Unprecedented” sales numbers expected, though the price could exceed $1,000 for the first time.
- The end of the Home button could be near. It could be replaced by facial recognition or a “function area.”
- A fingerprint scanner on the back of the handset?
In January, Timothy Arcuri of Cowen and Company told investors that the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone model could feature a “wraparound” screen design. This display could utilize a “fixed flex” screen.
Not so fast. In February, TrendForce said production issues might have shelved Apple’s plan on launching an iPhone with a curved OLED screen, at least in 2017.
Though announced in September, the iPhone 8 might not launch until October or November due to manufacturing issues.
As of April, it looks like Apple has narrowed its list of iPhone 8 prototype to two. The most likely of these will include an integrated Touch ID. The second offers a physical Touch ID on the back of the device.
Latest iPhone Edition mockups:
Two awesome iPhone 8 design videos:
"iPhone 7s" and "iPhone 7s Plus"
Apple typically releases “s” iPhone models in odd years. This naming convention should continue with the release of the “iPhone 7s” and “iPhone 7s Plus” in 2017. Because of the simultaneous release of the iPhone 8, however, these handsets will play a less significant role than past “s” models.
The 4.7-inch iPhone 7s and 5.5-inch iPhone 7s Plus are expected to be very similar to the current-generation models and feature aluminum bodies.
Cowen suggested the new 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models could also include OLED displays, depending on Samsung’s ability to supply the screens to Apple. All models could also feature wireless charging.
Less likely: 5-inch 2017 iPhone model
In late December 2016, the rumor mill suggested that Apple was also prepping a new 5-inch iPhone. This handset could have identical specifications to the 2017 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhones. Unlike the other two, however, this model may feature a vertically-designed camera.
Back in October 2016, Nikkei Asian Review said a 5-inch iPhone for iPhone 7 was a possibility.
More iPhone 8 Rumors/Key Dates
We’ll be updating this post as we get closer to the 2017 iPhone release date(s). Each time there’s an update, we’ll let you know on the front page of the site.
- June 5: WWDC 2017 kicks off with the introduction of “iOS 11.”
- In early September, new iPhones are announced.