The latest iPhone 8 rumors and news …
It looks like Apple is prepping a new iPhone color for 2017. Copper gold (or champagne) could join black and white as “iPhone 8” color choices.
All three 2017 iPhones are now in production. This includes the 5.8-inch iPhone 8, 4.7-inch “iPhone 7s,” and 5.5-inch “iPhone 7s Plus.”
Where Things Stand
While the iPhone 7s and iPhone 7s Plus will look very similar to their predecessors, the same can’t be said for the iPhone 8.
Apple’s new flagship device is almost certainly going to feature an OLED display. Other key components:
- First new iPhone design since iPhone 6 launched in 2014
- Could be called iPhone Edition
- Available with 64GB and 256GB of storage. What about 512GB?
- All glass design; possibly a wrap-around design; usable screen size of 5.15 inches or 1,125 pixels by 2,436 pixels
- Water resistance improved to IP68; or perhaps waterproof
- 10-nanometer A11 chip
- Much smaller bezels
- Wireless Charging, probably using Qi protocol; long-range wireless charging
- 10W USB-C wall charger
- Iris scanning for authentication; infrared face unlock capability
- Edge-to-edge display from Samsung; 92 million panels ordered?
- True Tone
- New sound when charging
- Vertical camera on the back
- Price could exceed $1,000 for the first time; early supply shortages, as usual
- The end of the Home button could be near. It could be replaced by facial recognition or a “function area.” The fingerprint scanner could also be on the back of the handset.
- ‘iPhone 8’ Could Come in 4 Colors, Including a Mirror Like Option
Touch ID – The biggest unknown
Late July and early August rumors now suggest Touch ID won’t be embedded on the device’s display as has long been rumored. Instead, the handset will probably use facial recognition for authentication.
An awesome iPhone 8 design video:
iPhone 8 Rumors: The Name Game
Under normal circumstances, this would be the year Apple releases the “iPhone 7s” and “iPhone 7s Plus.” Given this is the iPhone’s 10th anniversary, we don’t expect Apple to use those names.
Instead, the next iPhone could be called: iPhone 8 (makes no sense given the anniversary number); iPhone Edition (too confusing); iPhone X (when in Rome); or simply iPhone (might just work).
We constantly update this post as new information about the 2017 iPhones rolls in. Check back for updates.
- In early September, new iPhones should be announced. The actual ship date might not happen for another 30 to 60 days.
One Final Note
Since 2012, I’ve stressed what I call the “August 15 rule.” This simple rule says that iPhone rumors tend to converge by mid-August.
The reason? By that point in the cycle, actual iPhone shipments begin to move, which makes it nearly impossible for Apple to maintain its secrets.
We’re almost to Aug. 15 so stay tuned.